Pages

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Uncle Benny

While writing this, I am sitting in my room surrounded by the warmth of many blankets and the memories of a great man who has passed on from this life. I keep on trying to describe my Uncle Benny, but I am having such a hard time. The problem I'm running into is that no words can describe someone with such a lively spirit, a man with a quite knowledgeable and experienced mind and body. He had more compassion than you ever thought possible, when you looked into his eyes you could look for miles because the stories waiting to be told never ended.

So many fun times were had with him. One of my favorites was when he taught me a song (the song with be included at the bottom if you are interested) and then I sang it at preschool the next day and got in trouble. He would always have me sing this song at all of the family gatherings. Also at these gatherings , my cousins and I would sit on the floor and listen to his stories as we were mesmerized by the details he gave and wondered how the experiences he was describing were possible.

I miss my Uncle but am glad that he has passed on because it was his time, and he was ready. I hope that I can be like him. In "The Fault in our Stars" Hazel Grace say something along the lines of Augustus kept his humor till the end even though Augustus didn't. This line could fit my Uncle because even through the pain he could still chuckle about life.

Hi ho 
Hi ho
It's off to school we go
To learn some junk and then we flunk
Hi ho
Hi ho
My teacher is a shmoo
She's round and fat like a baseball bat
Hi ho
Hi ho hi ho hi ho 

2 comments:

  1. I love this line: when you looked into his eyes. you could look for miles because the stories waiting to be told never ended.

    I wish I could have met your Uncle Benny. He must have loved that you sang his song at pre-school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was really well written. Your uncle seemed like a really important person in your life and the song he taught you is the best.

    ReplyDelete